Saturday, February 23, 2008

Verses the "Prosperity Gospel" guys would never quote

Their claims:

God wants you to be financially prosperous- who can define what that even means?
God wants you to be healthy all the time
God wants you to never physically die (some)
Suffering is caused only by demonic attack, lack of faith, or sin.


The most compelling: "So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day." 2 Cor 4:16


"12Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. 13But rejoice insofar as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. 14 If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. 15But let none of you suffer as a murderer or a thief or an evildoer or as a meddler. 16Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name.... 19Therefore let those who suffer according to God’s will entrust their souls to a faithful Creator while doing good." 1 Peter 4
You mean, we might suffer "according to God's will"?? It didn't say "if it comes", but "when it comes." And we see one reason for suffering is to test us. I have actually read in one charismatic preacher's book that testing is not a biblical reason for suffering.


"I am going to Jerusalem, constrained by the Spirit, not knowing what will happen to me there, 23except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me in every city that imprisonment and afflictions await me. 24But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus to testify to the gospel of the grace of God." Acts 20
You mean the Spirit predicted suffering for Paul? The properity teachers preach against all talk of this kind, and would say, "Tisk, tisk, Paul; only speak good things."

"Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church," Col 1:24

"8Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me,9lest I be full and deny you and say, "Who is the LORD?"or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God." Proverbs 30

"32But recall the former days when, after you were enlightened, you endured a hard struggle with sufferings, 33sometimes being publicly exposed to reproach and affliction, and sometimes being partners with those so treated. 34For you had compassion on those in prison, and you joyfully accepted the plundering of your property, since you knew that you yourselves had a better possession and an abiding one." Hebrews 10
This is an example of Christians choosing suffering. "accepting the pludering of their property" because they had decided to go visit their brothers in prison, and thus make their faith public. Why? Check out the last part of v. 34.

"23(No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.)" 1 Timothy 5
Timothy had "frequent illnesses" (NIV), and Paul did not say, "Cast the demons out of your stomach," or "Have more faith, and stop sinning," or "Tell your body it's not really sick." I believe those are all possible causes of sickness, but if those were the only ones, why doesn't Paul address one of them?

This is my favorite...
"20For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope 21that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. 22For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. 23And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. " Romans 8
God has subjected creation to futility? (We know "he" is not Satan here, because it says, "in hope". Satan would not do anything for the hope that we would be set free from bondage.) We "will be" set free, means we haven't been yet. "Firstfruits" indicate more fruits to come that we don't have yet. Even Christians groan inwardly as we wait.
To check out the real "prosperity gospel" (with a different meaning of prosperity), check this out: http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Articles/ByDate/2006/1797_We_Want_You_to_Be_a_Christian_Hedonist/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I assent to but I about the post should secure more info then it has.