Saturday, August 27, 2011

Reformed Charismatic???

It is so exciting when something that God's been working in your own heart, you find He's also working in those around you. My theology is constantly morphing, as I believe it should be, as I learn more about God & His Word. My foundation, which is basic, God-centered, reformed theology and has been since high school, has not shifted (although it HAS been challenged, lol).

But I've been introduced to some of charismatic theology (for lack of a better term) which has made sense to me, both from experience and from the Bible. I won't go into all the details of what I do & don't agree with about it, but real quick, there are 3 basic things I like about it:
  1. The emphasis on spiritual warfare, which is WAY underplayed in most conservative churches today, to the point that no one knows how to handle things when they encounter it. (Many Protestants are even turning to the Catholic church, because no one in theirs knows how to handle it.)
  2. Not limiting (or attempting to limit) God's work through the "spiritual gifts". In other words, I'm not a Cessationist.
  3. Just the general positiveness of it! (I don't think that's a word, lol)
But what's exciting is that, while God is somehow working this morphing in my own heart & mind, I find there is a whole church movement being led in the same direction! Here is Matt Chandler, a teacher I've been following since college, my absolute favorite preacher, explaining it very well in a recent interview.
"Matt Chandler- 'Reformed Charismatic'"

I was also excited to find this: Sovereign Grace Ministries. A friend on some message boards I frequent was talking about her church's theology, and I thought, "That's me!" Joshua Harris, author of I Kissed Dating Goodbye, is one of the leaders, if you've heard of him. Matt Chandler's church is not technically a Sovereign Grace church, but they follow many of the teachings, as does John Piper, actually. Unfortunately, I don't have either church near me, but there's always the internet! :)

No comments: