Monday, January 31, 2011

Why I detest legalism, Pt 1

I titled this "Part 1" because who knows how many parts this topic will have! hehe. :) This has become something I am passionate about. I feel like I can say that I detest legalism because:
1- I used to be a legalist
2- I still struggle with its hold on my life that just won't let go @ times.
3- It is not just about little rules Christians disagree on. It is destroying lives.
4- And it is destroying our testimonies to a dying world. 
5- It creates divisions in the church.

So what is legalism? I am very interested in how different people define this, so PLEASE, if you can, leave a comment with your definition of legalism. In my opinion, there are two things usually meant by it.
1- A rule that Christians (or people who call themselves Christians) make up but that is not actually mandated by God.
2- Trying to become more acceptable to God by doing ANYTHING other than clinging to the cross of Christ.

The heart of the matter really lies in this second definition. Aren't we all guilty of that? I spent years doing it. The question of legalism really is not so much the action being performed but the motive behind it. I can serve soup in a soup kitchen because I am feeling guilty about another area of my life I refuse to turn over to God. Maybe serving soup will help God forget about that other area; or maybe it will just make me feel better. Legalism. Or I can serve soup because I'm so happy with the soup God has provided me in my own pantry, or I'm concerned about the poor (because God made me concerned about the poor. I've never cared about the poor on my own. ;) ) You can see the different motives there. Most of us find ourselves in a some version of the first scenario far too often. 

But it works, doesn't it? All the rules you've made for yourself, all the boxes you check each day, all "going above and beyond" really helps you feel closer to God, more accepted by Him, doesn't it? Then why, when one box goes unchecked do we run from Him for a week until we think His anger has cooled off? Why do we ruin friendships pointing the finger at others who aren't following our made up rules, which makes us even more lonely? Why, when we've had a bad day do we feel so far from Him? So unloved by Him? It's because of legalism. 

Solution?
1- First off, start by reading Galatians. There was a time in my life where I just read that book over & over & over again. I really didn't read much else until I was sure it sank in. When I start struggling again, I go back & read it again. Other parts of the Bible may confuse you until you get the truths there. Until they really sink in. Then those other passages (like James! ;) ) really started making sense as well.
2- Realize that God accepts you. If that is a cliche to you (it was to me for years), just pray that God will make it so real you will never doubt it. He is faithful. The reason He accepts you has nothing to do with you. He accepts His Son (He has to), and Jesus covers you, so you're included in that Father/Son acceptance that can never fail (His Godhood is at stake if it does). (as long as you've accepted the covering, that is) "God doesn't love some future version of you. He loves you where you are now." - Matt Chandler

Don't worry, there is more to come on this topic! (with more specifics) :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff. Thanks for posting.
-Dean H

Anonymous said...

Like. :)
-Kathy D

Anonymous said...

Right on Deann! I think about this a lot myself and find that the freedom Christ has given us is given up way too often in the face of legalism. I hate to say that this trips me up all of the time! What I have read and understand legalism to mean is: following the letter of the law instead of the heart of it. In other words, we are caught up in serving the law as our master instead of our Lord. Our obedience is then caught up in what we can understand and in what we can achieve on our own and thus starves the Holy Spirit. Hope all is well.
- Ryan Henshaw