Friday, October 19, 2012

Dropping Potatoes- thoughts on anger

While peeling potatoes over the sink this morning, I kept dropping the slippery suckers. One finally went all the way down into the disposal- yuck! I don't clean that thing like I should, so I had to scrub the potato with soap to make it edible again. It's moments like these, over dumb little things, that really make my temper flare. I have noticed this over the years and have never been able to figure out WHY. WHERE does it come from? I think I heard anger comes from fear, or no, is it fear comes from anger? I can't remember. 

Dropping things, losing things, babies waking up early from naps (isn't that the worst?), husbands forgetting to do the tiniest things and you're SURE it's solely to tick you off!  All these send me into a tailspin of self-pity and dern-near rage at times. But mostly, it's when I fail at something that I think I SHOULD be doing well, like being able to peel a dad-gum potato! Today I was seeking an answer for this. I started complaining to God and then asking him for wisdom. What I heard spoke straight to the heart, uncovering my motives, but most of all, illuminating His grace and love for me. 

He said- "Where did you get the idea that I needed you to be someone who doesn't drop potatoes?!"

"When I was on earth, don't you think gravity got the best of me sometimes, too? Are you saying you should do better than the Most High God?" 

I of course happened to be listening to a sermon on anger when all this happened which was about how anger stems from pride, shame, and not believing God. I dropped a few more potatoes after that... and just laughed when I did. God was laughing too. I don't think he wants me to take myself so seriously.

No comments: